Sunday, January 12, 2014

Easy Peasy BBQ Beef Sandwiches

Judy here:

Anyone that knows me knows I am one lazy cook.  I do not for any reason want to spend time in the big room with the hot box with all the dials.  So, I cook the lazy girls way.  Here is my version of pulled BBQ beef sandwiches on homemade hamburger buns.

First, go to the store and grab an arm roast.   I know, I had to google that one.  What part of the steer is the arm?  Was not what I thought.  Anyway, back to the recipe.

Now, my Mother always took the time to fast flash seal the roast.  She did this by turning the big round hot thing (she called it a burner) up on high and setting a fry pan on it.  She then flopped the roast in there and kept turning and flipping it until all the sides and edges were slightly browned.  She claimed this sealed in the juices.  Of course, then she put it in the BIG HOT BOX and cooked it on a low slow heat for hours.

Nope, not my style!   Here is how I do it. 

I drop the roast from the package into the crock pot.  I then pour a small box of beef broth over it.  I add a small amount of BBQ sauce on top of the meat.  NOW HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART.  Every time I eat at a deli, I get two honey mustard packets.  Open one and dump it on top of the meat.  Now, add just enough water to cover the top of the meat.   I cook it that way for about 6-7 hours on low.

Home made Hamburger buns.  While you were at the store, I hope you picked up some frozen road house rolls and a can of Olive oil cooking spray.  You did that right?   Ok here we go.

Spray a cookie sheet with the Olive oil.  Now,  drop as many rolls as you will need on there.  Now, spray the tops.   Go have a glass of wine.  This part takes awhile. 



Ok we're back.  The rolls should be just thawed all the way through.   Pick one up and gently flatten it.  Now (this takes a little practice)  grab it like a steering wheel and start gentling spinning it around while gently stretching it and pressing outside edges.  It sounds tougher than it is.  You want to end up with a piece of dough that is about an inch thick (or a little less) in the middles, but you need the edges a tiny bit flatter.  This does not have to be perfect, when it raises it will take out the flaws.

Now, place them on cookie sheets that you sprayed with the Olive Oil.  Spray them again and let them raise.  Remember they are going to raise a little more in the oven.  I've found if I let them raise an hour, they raise enough in the oven.  Here we go, spray them one more time and put them in the oven.  I always put a pan of water in the oven when I turn it on.  The steam keeps them from getting to dry on top.  I know you are going to ask how high to turn the oven.  No clue here.  I turn mine to 400 but I believe mine runs a little cool.   Just watch the first batch and adjust.  You have to watch the tops (you've sprayed a lot of olive oil on that)  do not brown too fast.  Once they are sort of set, you can start gently lifting one and watching the bottom to see if it's keeping up with the tops.  You don't want nicely browned tops and raw bottoms.   Again, it's easy after you do one batch.   I did ONE test bun my very first time so I knew where to set it.   Once you get them done, you want to what?   That's right, spray them again with the Olive Oil.   When they cool enough they can be easily handled, use a bread knife and gently slice them into buns.   I never slice all the way through.  I never wait for them to completely cool before I go to bed, I just cover them with foil, in the pan I baked them in.

Ok, now you can finish off that bottle of wine and go to bed.  You have one more thing to do in the morning before you start your day.

Next morning, drain your cooked beef and start shredding it and leave it set while you do this next step.   In your crock pot mix more BBQ sauce (do not over do it, you can add more later).  Add another packet of honey mustard a little liquid smoke and ketchup.  This is basically done to your own taste.  Salt and pepper and stir. (you can add a little of your broth back in if you are not going to be there to stir it)  Now, put your shredded meat in and toss it so it's all coated with the sauce.   Go off and enjoy your day.  Just let it cook on low all day. (I add onions but not everyone likes that)

So now you know how a lazy cook makes an impression.  Here is what your buns will look like when you serve them.





Remember how we made these because you will be seeing this on a lot of my recipes.  Watch the sales, use your coupons.  Everyone knows I hate store bought bread.  I actually do make a lot of my bread from scratch, however this is the short cut I use when I am not in the mood to hang out in the kitchen all day.

If you try this, let me know what you think.  My sister was NOT impressed.  She would have done it like my Mom.

Have a great day and Happy cooking.
Judy




No comments:

Post a Comment